Publications and blogs
- New! How COVID-19 Is Revolutionizing Health Care Around the World. TIME column by Gavin Yamey and Madhukar Pai. June 3, 2021.
- New! The CDC’s Abrupt Change to Mask Guidelines Puts People at Risk. TIME column by Theresa Chapple-McGruder and Gavin Yamey. May 18, 2021.
- New! COVID-19 Has Unleashed Vile Antisemitism. MEDPage Today Op-Ed by Gavin Yamey. May 17, 2021.
- The covid-19 vaccine patent waiver: a crucial step towards a “people’s vaccine”. A BMJ Opinion piece by Gregg Gonsalves and Gavin Yamey. May 10, 2021.
- Financing the commons: Now more than ever. A Health Systems Global piece by Gavin Yamey and co-authors. April 23, 2021.
- A call for diversity, equity, and inclusion: Highlights from the Consortium of Universities for Global Health 2021 conference. A PLoS Med article features Wenhui Mao. April 15, 2021
- Using the COVID-19 pandemic to reimagine global health teaching in high-income countries. A BMJ Global Health editorial by Gavin Yamey and co-authors. March 11, 2021.
- The Pandemic Can’t End While Wealthy Nations Hoard Shots. Wired interview Gavin Yamey. March 9, 2021.
- COVAX. BBC World interview with Gavin Yamey. February 28, 2021.
- We’ll Probably Never Eliminate COVID-19 from the U.S. It’s Still Worth Trying. TIME column by Gavin Yamey. February 25, 2021.
- Rich countries should tithe their vaccines: Game theory suggests that donating doses can help nations of all income levels. Nature World View article by Gavin Yamey. February 24, 2021.
- Confronting COVID-19 vaccine equity. Duke TODAY article featuring CPIGH study. February 19, 2021.
- Unprotected African health workers die as rich countries buy up COVID-19 vaccines. Science interview with Gavin Yamey. February 17, 2021.
- We Can’t Afford to Wait for COVID-19 Vaccines To Be Rolled Out. Here’s What We Can Do to Curb the Virus Now. TIME column by Gavin Yamey. January 13, 2021.
- How will COVID-19 affect the future of global health aid? A Center report by Kaci Kennedy McDade and colleagues. January 11, 2021.
February 2020 and before...
Interviews and media
- New! COVAX: making sure no country is left behind in the fight against the pandemic. KPFA interviews Gavin Yamey (starting minute 11). May 9, 2021.
- Vaccine Hoarding By Wealthy Nations Leaves Poorer Countries Behind. Newsy interviews Gavin Yamey. December 15, 2020.
- Local experts weigh in on Biden plan. WRAL interviews Gavin Yamey. November 10, 2020.
- The Covid vaccine’s tricky politics. Politico interviews Gavin Yamey. October 29, 2020.
- Scientists Push Back on Herd-Immunity Approach to Covid-19. The Wall Street Journal interviews Gavin Yamey. October 18, 2020.
- Fears grow student Covid infections will spread into local areas in England and Wales. The Guardian interviews Gavin Yamey. October 12, 2020.
- The end of sport podcast with Gavin Yamey and Zachary Binney. October 6, 2020.
- UK university student halls too full to be safe, experts warn. The Guardian interviews Gavin Yamey. October 2, 2020.
- CDC Issues New Testing Guidance for Colleges. Inside Higher Ed interviews Gavin Yamey. October 2, 2020.
- After a COVID-19 vaccine: collaboration or competition? HealthAffairs’ Harris Meyers quotes Gavin Yamey. September 28, 2020.
- Colleges Become Reservoirs of Covid Ready to Spill Over. Bloomberg interviews Gavin Yamey. September 21, 2020.
- As virus pummels US, Europe sees its own spike. Peter Sullivan at The Hill interviews Gavin Yamey. September 20, 2020.
- ‘Astonishingly risky’: COVID-19 cases at colleges are fueling the nation’s hottest outbreaks. USA Today interviews Gavin Yamey. September 11, 2020.
- Raging Campus Outbreaks Send Students Home Across the U.S. Bloomberg interviews Gavin Yamey. September 4, 2020.
- Who gets to have the vaccine? New Scientist interviews Gavin Yamey. August 15, 2020.
- US experts: The Covid-19 situation in Vietnam has not been the second wave. VnExpress’ Vietanh Phan interviews Gavin Yamey. July 30, 2020.
- Harris County Jail faces a new threat: Inmates who caught COVID on the outside. Houston Chronicle quotes Gavin Yamey. July 28, 2020.
- Coronavirus Is Surging All Over Asia and the Pacific. Here’s What the Rest of the World Can Learn. TIME’s Amy Gunia interviews Gavin Yamey. July 17, 2020.
- Scholars try to steer US virus response. China Daily’s Liu Yinmeng interviews Gavin Yamey and Dean Jamison. June 22, 2020.
- Coronovirus: The new normal. Duke University podcast with Gavin Yamey. June 12, 2020.
- Counting the ways Donald Trump failed in the pandemic. BMJ’s Nicole Lurie interviews Gavin Yamey and Gregg Gonsalves. June 5, 2020.
- How Have Other Countries Fared Against Covid-19? WWL Radio interviews Gavin Yamey. May 26, 2020.
- The Future We Want. SwitchPoint Podcast with Aaarathi Krishnan and Gavin Yamey. April 15, 2020.
- How we got here, and what we should do differently. Policy 360 podcast with Gavin Yamey. March 31, 2020.
- Coronavirus formally declared a pandemic: TRANSCRIPT from MSNBC, All in with Chris Hayes, featuring Gavin Yamey. March 11, 2020.
- Pandemics give rich selfish reason to aid the poor. Reuters quotes Gavin Yamey. March 5, 2020.
- The cost of American health care could help coronavirus spread in the US. Quartz interviews Gavin Yamey. February 28, 2020.